Supplementary provisions as to designation orders and designated parking places. — (1)
Where under a designation order vehicles may not be left at all times in the designated parking place—
the parking place shall for the purposes of sections 46 and 47 of this Act be treated, as respects any time during which vehicles may not be left there in pursuance of the order, as if it were not designated by the order; and
any vehicle left in the parking place which remains there at the beginning of a period during which vehicles may be left there in pursuance of the order shall, for the purposes of those sections, be treated as if it had been left there at the beginning of that period, but without prejudice to any rights or liabilities in respect of anything done or omitted at any time before the beginning, or after the end, of that period.
(2) Subject to subsection (3) below, a designation order may revoke the designation of any place as a parking place under section 6 or 32 of this Act; and such an order, or an order under either of those sections containing a designation of a place as a parking place, may provide that the designation shall not have effect as respects any time in respect of which provision is made under section 45 of this Act for the leaving of vehicles in that place.
(3) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
(4) Subject to Parts I to III of Schedule 9 to this Act, the authority by whom a parking place is designated under section 45 of this Act may by order empower the local authority, the chief officer of police or any other person specified by or under the order to provide for the moving, in case of emergency, of vehicles left in the parking place; to suspend the use of the parking place or any part of it on such occasions or in such circumstances as may be determined by or under the order; and to provide for the temporary removal of any parking meters installed at the parking place.
[ (4A) A constable, or a person acting under the instructions (whether general or specific) of the chief officer of police, may suspend the use of a parking place designated under section 45 of this Act for not more than 7 days in order to prevent or mitigate congestion or obstruction of traffic, or danger to or from traffic, in consequence of extraordinary circumstances.]
(5) Any local authority may acquire, whether by purchase or by hiring, such parking meters and other apparatus as appear to the authority to be required or likely to be required for the purposes of their functions under sections 45 and 46 of this Act and subsections (1) to (4) above.
(6) Anything authorised or required by the provisions of sections 45 and 46 of this Act and subsections (1) to (4) above to be prescribed or done by order may, except as otherwise expressly provided, be prescribed or done either by a designation order or by a general order.